Restoration of the fountain in Prince of Wales Gardens
Made possible by funding from Voice You Choice and North Yorkshire County Council
The project was to restore the fountain by running a power lead to an electric pump which will aerate the pond and power the fountain to provide a very attractive feature in what is a well- used garden.
When the project commenced we discovered that it was necessary to replace the existing power supply. This was achieved by coming to an agreement with NYCC to have a feed from the street lighting column. This involved some unexpected work and then we discovered leaks in the pond and other work, so the job was much greater than we had expected.Work was completed in February 2019
At a committee meeting it was decided that our group would make a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund for the £50,000 needed to renew the Rose Garden. Briefly the plan was to:
Install new drainage as the beds are sometimes waterlogged
Replace the topsoil down to a depth of 500 mm
Replant using new rose bushes
Remove or prune some trees and shrubs which are shading the rose garden. This made the rose garden more visible from the adjoining road.
In May 2012 volunteers replanted the rockery and it is hoped that the plants will become established so that in future years we will all be able to enjoy this sheltered sunny area of our gardens. In November volunteers planted lots of tulips and hyacinths so we should see lots of colour in spring 2013.
This work was made possible by the kind sponsorship of The Red Lea Hotel, many thanks for their continued support.
Work was completed in 2012.
On SATURDAY JULY 12 2014 there was a
display featuring the activities of the Friends group in the Gardens staged in the large shelter in the Italian Gardens which is 100 years old and newly restored.
The restoration work was to a very high standard and much admired.
Alfred Shuttleworth was a successful businessman from Lincoln who bought Red Court on the Esplanade in 1905.
Across Holbeck Road was a house called "Holbeck Hurst", owned by Robert A. Marrillier, Mayor of Scarborough in 1896/97. Soon after Shuttleworth bought Red Court he purchased and demolished Holbeck Hurst in order to improve his view and in the empty space he created a garden called "Redcourt Garden"
In 1917 he presented the garden to the town. The oak shelter was already in the garden at that time so it is around 100 years old.
In the winter of 1937/38 a corner was created as a miniature rock and water garden with summerhouses, boathouse and bridge to scale. This work was done by the Council.
Alfred Shuttleworth’s gift is still being enjoyed by residents and Scarborough visitors. His other gifts to the town include Holbeck Clock Tower and the statue of Mercury in the Italian Gardens.